Saturday, January 21, 2012

WHEN SHE SNORES ....... HER MIDNIGHT LULLABY


WHEN SHE SNORES....... HER MIDNIGHT LULLABY 
 (The article below is purely a work of fiction and not indented to hurt anybody.)



     After a long tiring day, I was ready to doze off any time. I gathered courage to reach my hostel room. After reaching, I decided to take bath just to refresh myself from the tiring day. Clock hits 8 and it is the time for our dinner. Megha and I went to have our dinner in the hostels mess. Megha and I became friends in hostel itself but unfortunately we don’t share the same room. She stays with her cousin in the same floor and I got aarti iyer , 24 years old girl with extra fat,and beautiful face minus smile. We never interacted much except casual hi and hello, that too initiative is always taken by me. She was believed to be a silent animal working with some leading BPO.
  Back to the dinner table….. She was there sitting at one corner with full plate of rice and dal spread over it minus sabzi (may be she already finished it). She was eating & eating. She eats a lot and farts too. She loves to eat whatever is available for her (my mom would like her, as I make faces when I don’t approve of certain vegetables made for lunch or dinner).
Everyone finished their dinner and headed towards the TV area. We silently watched TV for half hour following commercial breaks which would intent us to talk with other roommates there. The alarm rang and we wished goodnight to each other.
  My eyes was searching aarti .she could not be traced anywhere but at the same corner. She was probably having her dessert for night. I went towards her and….
I’m going to sleep, please come once you finish your...aaaa…food’ I said with hesitation and looking down to her plate
She only nodded once as her mouth was full.
    I was deep into sleep. It was around 3 am. Aarti started her midnight lullaby. She literally started snoring hard. I could not control but get up and sit on my bed. I checked my cell to see the time. Oh god! It is 3 in the morning.
I hate you aarti ‘I almost shouted in anger. This beautiful fatty ignored what I said and continued to snore more louder this time.
Managing to sleep again, I took out some cotton from the drawer and put them on my ears. But this idea failed too and she continued with her midnight lullaby.
Finally I gathered the courage and called her name …aarti….aaarti….
She was not at all bothered about what is happening around her. This routine followed every night. I end up reading books or listening to songs till morning bell rings.
 One day she remained at hostel and bunked her office & I was having weekly off.
I yawned very hard and she noticed it.
You had proper sleep last night? She asked
I yawned once more and replied "NO".
Why?’ she again asked
Well, I was reading book’ I half lied
Whole night dear? ‘She asked completely shocked.
Yes, my next article is due this week . So, was doing some research 'again I lied
Okay! Even I could not sleep properly’ she blushed (I was about to laugh but controlled and wondered why she blushed?)
You have got dark circle under you eyes. Are you having some stress? She was enquiring
No, m fine .May be i need to sleep more 'I cleared.
I wondered for how many more days she is going to be here. I want either her or me to leave this hostel.

One afternoon she came in the room (I was down with fever and sleep deprived)
She was smiling and came towards me and said she is going.
I assumed she has some field work and will be back in few days.
He called me today ‘she blushed again
Who? I asked with surprise
My husband raju ‘aarti said
Your husband? You are married aarti? This time I was enquiring
She was married to mr.raju iyer, an IT engineer and he was working with an MNC. Aarti and raju had some fight which forced aarti to leave his house and make hostel as her temporary shelter. She even mentioned the reason for her fight. Raju was against her snoring at night and aarti could not control it. Now that raju has accepted the reality and apologized her, she is going back to her husbands place forever.
I half smiled to whatever she told me (inside I was dancing and excited as she is leaving and I could sleep in peace)
She packed her belongings and left after hugging me. I closed the door, shouted with happiness and started cleaning the room. While cleaning the room, I received one note. It reads dear roommate…I can only say aarti! (I took the broom at one hand  and unfolded the note and placed myself to the nearby wooden chair and started reading….
Dear roommate,   
        I have troubled you a lot in this 2 months. Your sleepless nights are not your articles but my snoring.
Please check the drawer to your left (throwing the broom I got up to reach the drawer and opened it…and I was surprised to see what she left for me)
This is what I can do to pay as compensation. Please apply this cream twice before sleeping every night. Your dark circles will disappear in two weeks, my promise. ( while reading this, i can only imagine aarti as a sales girl promoting her product to achieve sales target for the month )
Two long months and you haven’t complaint.
                       Thanks for tolerating me
                                                                                           Yours fatty,
                                                                                             Mrs. Iyer
 I folded the note as I noticed few drops of water in the note, i went near the mirror and saw tears in my eyes. Wow! I can get emotional too. Few minutes ago I wanted her to leave the place and now eaxactly that happened. I hated her so much but her letter changed my view about her.
I will miss her. Especially her midnight lullaby !
    

2 comments:

0to1 said...

Her Midnight Lullaby !
Good luck for your upcoming events :-)

Anonymous said...

wonderful :)